Dietary Supplements: What You Need to Know
Dietary supplements are a popular way to supplement your diet and get the vitamins and minerals you need to stay healthy. While supplements can be beneficial, they can also be dangerous if not taken properly. Here are some key things to know about dietary supplements:
1. Dietary supplements are not regulated by the FDA. This means that the quality and safety of supplements is not guaranteed. Before taking any supplement, it’s important to research the product and make sure it is made from quality ingredients.
2. Supplements can interact with medications. Before taking any supplement, be sure to talk to your doctor or pharmacist to make sure it won’t interfere with any medications you’re taking.
3. Supplements may not be necessary. Before taking a supplement, consider if you are already getting enough of the nutrient from your diet. Many people don’t need to take supplements if they are eating a balanced diet.
4. Supplements can be dangerous if taken in high doses. Many supplements can be toxic if taken in too high of a dose. It’s important to follow the directions on the label and talk to your doctor if you have any questions.
5. Supplements can be expensive. Supplements can be costly, so it’s important to consider if the benefits of taking the supplement outweigh the cost.
By being informed about the potential risks and benefits of dietary supplements, you can make an informed decision about whether or not they are right for you.